Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cowered and In Charge - A Meditation on New Year's Eve Dogsitting

The dog is driving me crazy now. I don’t know exactly what I should do. If I stand up it stands up and snarls. Its eyes. Ice and blue. Dull, though. I sit, and then it sits and plays. All I have to do is sit. But for how long?

A while later now. I haven’t tried to stand up. I am comfortable enough sitting here. There is a game on. A very patriotic scene. The Air Force academy is facing off against the University of California. I think it is in a southwestern state. So it is sunny and warm. Everyone is smiling. The service academy boosters and alum lend it a Fourth-of-July-parade type feel. There are American flags everywhere. Aviator sunglasses, too. And then there are the Californians. We all wear our costumes, I guess.

It’s all very American. I am an American.

Fumble!

Crowd goes wild with a red, white and blue frenzy.

But the dog. Shhh. I think it is finally a sleep. I think I might try and stand up-- Oh no. It groaned. Was that just a sleeping groan? Here I go!

It’s back up! It’s prowling. There is a singer on now pleading as loud as he can, “Relief!” I nod in agreement.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the style of this one.